Monday, November 4, 2019

Birthday Cake And Wine.

With my wife's birthday rapidly approaching I had to ask my self what wines go best with a birthday cake. The answer, of course, would not be an easy one. There are so many different styles of wine and so many different types of cake.

I decided to start with what wines we had in our home ready to serve our friends. It seems we have more reds, mostly Syrah than whites.

I now had a decision. I knew what cake would be best. Before proceeding I took a look at some other combinations.

Red Valet cake is very popular, with its smooth texture and cream cheese frosting, it's delicious. perhaps the best wine here would be Pinot Noir.

Funfetti cake with its complicated flavours means it has to be a sparkling wine.

A devil cake lets go with three selections Cabernet, Grenache, and Syrah, unless its all white devil cake or lemon then select a with like riesling or Petite Milo.

We can not forget the cheesecake. Once again their numerous flavours associated with cheesecakes but you can not go wrong with a dessert wine.

Lemon Meringue Cake is simply delicious. My personal choice here would be Bacchus, Ortega or dessert wine.

The very popular Black Forest cake. This one is hard to find the perfect pairing. Some resources say "just serve coffee" But let's give it a shot. How about a tawny port? A late harvest wine? Perhaps an Icewine!

So what cake will I be buying ( or perhaps make myself)? The best solution to this minor concern is "Ask the Wife"

However, chances are it will be a simple chocolate cake.


winesofcanada.com. Twenty-seven years ago we began boasting about Canada's wines and our passionate owners, vineyard managers and winemakers keep proving how right we were and how bright the future is..



No comments:

Post a Comment