Tuesday, May 3, 2022

 

Your Attitude Makes your Business.

 

How successful a business maybe is determined by many factors.  However; It’s your attitude and how you treat your customers that really determine your success or failure. Some businesses never learn that. On                                         a recent visit to the wineries of Vancouver Island I encountered shall we say the right and the wrong way of doing business.

I received an exceptionally warm welcome from the good folks at Blue Grouse Vineyards in Duncan. I arrived early at the winery before opening and walked around the grounds and building taking photographs. As I walked along the outdoor patio area the door opened and I was greeted by Pamula who addressed me by my surname Mr Bell. Pamela invited me inside and asked what areas of the winery I would like to see. Remember the winery is still not open I am early. You can read about my visit on the website www.winesofcanada.com

The following day I was scheduled to visit Deep Cove winery in Saanich. I arrived early once again before opening. It was a cold rainy morning. I waited until 5 minutes to 11 before testing the door. It was locked. As I did at the winery the previous morning I wandered around the building. I was on the patio where I could clearly see into the tasting room. There was an employee inside She looked at me briefly and then turned away. She did not acknowledge my presents. I returned to the car and waited for the door to open.

I entered the winery said hello to the young lady who responded by asking” what can I do for you”

I told her I had arranged an appointment. She told me they had no booking until 1 am. However, she sat me at a table and placed a very small menu in front of me. I felt I had to explain that  I was a writer and came to interview the owner or winemaker and do a story on the winery.

After a brief conversation she asked me if she should find the owner I said “yes” He appeared moments later leaned on the counter at the far corner of the room and said “ I am here ask your questions” The conversation deteriorated from there. I finally said, “I do not feel welcome here.” He said “that is my problem". So I said, “I guess I will just leave.” He said that up to you. I said I can write a negative article or a good one it is your choice. He said “I do not care”

I left feeling quite shattered. I could not believe this man’s attitude.  Where there any other customers in the winery- no. There was no need to wonder why!

I went on to the next winery walked in the door and within seconds I was shaking the hand of the manager and being warmly greeted.

 My visits to Blue Grouse Vineyards, Alderlea Winery, Church & State and Symphony Vineyards will appear on www.winesofcanada.com.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment