Thursday, October 13, 2022

 What It Takes!


As you know, I am the owner and sole writer for the very popular website www.winesofcanada.com. I began developing websites in 1992. I started with the World of Wines.  As interest in the wonderful world of wine grew among the public and the number of wineries in Canada greatly increased, I switch my attention to Canada. It was a surprise to me that I was able to obtain the domain Winesofcanada.com. 

Back in the early ’90s, there was no “.ca”. My main focus was to list all wineries by province and tell a short story about them. It took a great deal of research. After completing this task and seeing my daily hits grow from 4-5 visits a day to over 300 a day. I decided to add more content.  Today I provided information on all aspects of the industry. I write wine reviews and tell about my visits to the wineries. I include Meaderies and Cider House. I have explored and written about the history of winemaking in Canada. I tell the stories of many of the most influential people in the industry. 

Back in 2017, I started  my most popular pages. “ The Wineries to Watch for in 2017” and the “Best Wineries to Visit in 2017”. These pages were first published days prior to January 1 2017.

I published new pages every year since.  Today I am already writing the pages for 2023. 

The work on these pages begins once the previous year is published. I review all resources possible, TV, Newspapers, and Magazines. my peers in the industry, my friends, other writers, and of course, research.

 The hardest page to do is actually “the Best Wineries to Visit”. There is an old saying which I believe is factual “ When one is happy with a hospitality established, they tell two or three people about it. When one is unhappy, they tell ten or more people”.

 In reassuring the wineries, it became obvious that the number one concern for an unhappy visit was the attitude of the staff!

In most situations, a good attitude leads to positive behaviours and a negative attitude leads to negative behaviours. An employee who believes in the company’s core values is more likely to show positivity in the workplace. Organizations where employees like each other and trust the management are more likely to have positive attitudes.

 It does not matter how good the wines are, how good your food is, or how amazing your facilities are if the owners and staff have a negative attitude! 

Numerous wineries that one might say would be among the Best Wineries to Visit have not made the 2023 page simply because of hospitality concerns. It amazes me!


No comments:

Post a Comment