Saturday, May 18, 2019

Watermelon

A few nights ago as we settled into our bed my wife decided to read to me an article about the benefits of Watermelon. Apparently, it is quite the fruit. A very under appreciated fruit indeed.

Most people enjoy watermelon in the summer enjoying its cool high water content. Its hydrating and low number of calories. Watermelon has one of the lowest fruits in calories.

The melon is a very good source of vitamins and minerals needed by your body. They are high in Vitamine A, Vitamine C, B1,5 and 6. They are also a good source of potassium and Magnesium.

Studies show the watermelon helps prevent cancer and heart disease. 

After my wife finished reading her article  I simply said "you know where the store is"

It was not until the next afternoon as we sat by the water sipping wine that I wondered what wine goes best with watermelon.

According to an old Wife's Tale from Argentina red wine and watermelon spells death. That, of course, is not true. However, I still think the best choice would be a dry white wine. In doing the research  I actually came across some red wine and watermelon recipe, not to mention Watermelon Wine.

I myself would most likely choose a Riesling.  A Chenin Blanc would be good too. I know one writer that says there is only one wine that's right - Provencal Rose.

One winery owner suggests Venturi-Shulze Brandenburge #3 that is a desert wine. SO I may have to open my mind and try a sweeter wine next time I have watermelon.

Visit our website www.winesofcanada.com




No comments:

Post a Comment