Tuesday, February 2, 2021


Be Creative!

Sometimes I have to wonder about the wine industry. Some wineries go out and hire a marketing firm or creative design to come up with their winery logo and or design their wine labels. Then tell me why do so many winery labels look alike?





Take a close look at Phantom Creek and Copper moon. Not much of a difference. Chances are there will be no mistake as to which one you purchase the real difference is in the quality and cost.




The O Brien Estate bears a resemblance to three Canadian labels. I found all these labels in less than five minutes. Image how many more identical labels I could find if I went through the entire state of California.




 

These last two use the O symbol but they do look a bit different, however once again I quickly found 4 more wineries using a simple O. Image how many I could find if I really put my mind to it.

Does the same thing happen with winery names? Yes, it does, for a quick sample of this, I found four Larch Hill Wineries around the world and two O Shaughnessy wineries in Napa Valley. Blackwood and Ironwood are popular too. Using a tree on the label, a few wineries use almost the identical symbol here too.

DO you find it confusing?? I did receive an e-mail just last week from a lady in Ontario. A friend told her about a wine she really likes but forgot the name. She was able to describe the label. Sadly the wrong wine was purchased. 

If you Google wine labels with horses you get 5,860,000 responses many of which look alike. Try Butterflies far more butterfly labels and even harder to tell some brands apart.

If I was off to the store and my wife says " Bring home a bottle of the wine I like you know its the one with the Kangaroo on it". I am almost 100% likely to bring home the right wine. But If she said the one with the O on it, I may get the wrong wine.

Ok, so a few wineries around the world use almost identical logos. What I do not understand is the winery that uses the almost identical symbol of the older winery down the road?

Now just for the fun of it try https://jinjubyanthem.com/ to see how the symbol used by numerous BC wineries is overused.

No comments:

Post a Comment