Saturday, June 29, 2024

 Famille Hugel 2021 Gentil


Back in early May I had my 75th birthday.. Which means for over 50 years I have been tasting the wonderful wines produced by numerous countries around the globe. In the last thirty years having run the website www.winesofcanada.com my true focus as been on Canada's wine industry. This reduces my opportunities to enjoy more wines from the old world.

Now I mention my birthday only due to the fact that very good and very close friends (recently married) Ken and Kimberley presented me with a wine from France. Now Kimberley is, on her own right, an excellent wine writer. She as the blog The Sensuous Sommelier. Kimberley has taken all the training necessary to qualify as a certified Sommelier. When Kimberley says wine is beyond good, she will always be right. So I knew when Ken and Kim presented me with the Famille Hugel Gentil I knew was in for a treat.

Hugel & Fils, founded in 1639 in picturesque Riquewihr, Alsace, France, is still 100% family owned and managed by the 12th consecutive generation of the family.

Hugel production averages 110,000 cases per year, of which around 90% is exported to more than 100 countries worldwide, where “Alsace” is often synonymous with “Hugel”.

Vines have been cultivated in Alsace for more than 2,000 years and have brought great prosperity to the region. The second driest wine region in France, Alsace has a unique climate that enables the grapes to ripen slowly, giving dry, aromatic wines with great finesse and unequaled intensity: a perfect match for most Western and Asian cuisine.

Hugel wines, with their distinctive yellow labels, express the pure varietal character of Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Muscat and Pinot Blanc, all of which have no “make-up” from oaking or sweetening.

Gentil is the only blend Hugel makes. It includes Riesling, Pinot Gris Gewurztraminer and Muscat With a small percentage of Pinot Blanc and Sylvaner. It bring out some exrotinary floral flavours along with melon and Tangerine.

Paired it with a soft Brie and sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment